Sunday, April 1, 2012

My version of a 10 minute Miso-Udon-Shrimp Soup

I bought some Udon noodles from Cost World Plus Market and realized I could make Udon soup with the Yellow Miso I had in the fridge from Whole Foods!

First I sliced 2 carrots, several cremini mushrooms (although shitake would be better), and a quarter bundle of green onions. I then boiled water (4 cups? half a pot?) with a few tablespoons of Tamari (basically add this to taste).

I prefer Tamari over regular Soy Sauce since it is "wheat free" or gluten free, and it is supposed to be the "original" Japanese soy sauce...with a richer flavor.

Once the broth was at a boil, I added the carrotts and mushrooms and cooked until they were starting to become tender. I then added a couple tablespoons of Organic Yellow Miso Paste (again add to taste) and the green onions. I don't think the Miso is supposed cook for that long, which is why I added it towards the end.

Then I added peeled/de-veined shrimp and the Udon noddles. The noodles are already soft and just need to be heated through. I figured the shrimp and noodles would take about the same time...lets say 3 mintues or so in the boiling soup.


Once it was all heated through... and the shrimp turned pink... I poured the soup into a bowl and topped it with Momi Nori or shredded seaweed.

This soup would be good without the shrimp or with tofu as a substitute for the shrimp.





No comments: